I love burritos! I wanted to find a healthier alternative to tackle my burrito craving, so I started making these baked burritos and I think I have perfected the recipe (or come pretty darn close).
These have quickly become a family favorite and a staple menu item. I have even gotten my parents and siblings hooked. They are moist, healthy, and delicious!! The best part, they are quick to make and require limited ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
This recipe goes together quickly. It has only a few ingredients that are mixed, then rolled into tortillas. They are baked on a lined baking sheet. You may use parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
While parchment paper is great at keeping your food from sticking to the bottom of a pan or losing half of your tortilla, it is expensive. I received the Silpat Non-Stick Baking Mats as a wedding present and never really thought I would use them. After a few months of them sitting in a drawer, I decided to try them. Now they are a kitchen staple. These are great for any time a recipe calls for an item to sit on parchment paper or in place of greasing the bottom of a cookie sheet. The other nice thing, they are dishwasher safe and cleans easily.
Please let me know if you try this out!
Simple Baked Chicken Burritos
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 cup salsa (I like salsa verde)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 large flour tortillas (Burrito Size)
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese.
- Place tortillas in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, flipping halfway through (this helps make them pliable for folding). Scoop ⅓ cup filling onto each flour tortilla and fold like a burrito. Place burritos on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until they are slightly browned.
- Once served, top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. (Tip- this tastes like sour cream but is much healthier and adds additional protein.)
- To complete the meal, serve with a salad or your favorite vegetable.